.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep (ARC)

 
Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4)
Jennifer Estep
Pub.: December 24, 2012

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Gwen just can't catch a break. Yeah, she goofed when she uncovered the dagger her mother had hidden so well, and let it get stolen and used to free the trickster God Loki before she could find a new hiding spot, but now the Protectorate, aka mythical police force, has decided to charge her with aiding his escape. Funny how they charge before investigating...but at least she can stay on campus under permanent guard as they do it.
 
With Logan's dad leading the charge against her, to say their newfound relationship becomes strained would be an understatement. The stars just don't seem to wanna align for these two, 'cause the fates are about to throw them yet another whammy. But love may not even be the issue if the Protectorate's investigation turns up enough evidence against her, 'cause if she's found guilty at all, they'll execute the little gypsy girl. Refusing to sit idly by while the Protectorate refuses to investigate the claims that Loki's Champion Vivian is still out there planning against them, Gwen risks life and freedom to determine Vivian's next move. But it may already be too late, and another one of Gwen's loved ones are about to fall.
 
There's something about the Mythos Academy series that I really love...but I can't quite put my finger on it. Nothing ever seems to shock or surprise me, and in fact, I figured out who the spy in the Protectorate was the moment the character was introduced, long before Gwen even realized one of them had to be an infiltrator, and I figured out why that certain person had taken on that role just as quickly. It didn't keep me from enjoying the story as it finally unfolded, but I wished these novels had a few tricks up their sleeves that weren't so predictable. Luckily, Gwen is so sassy and likeable I just don't care, and I can't help but root for her and her mythological Scooby Gang. If you haven't read any of these books yet, time to start, 'cause the fifth, Midnight Frost, comes out this August!
 
 
ARC provided by publisher for honest review.
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: