.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep (ARC)

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3)
Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.
  

Oh, Logan. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was ready to magically transport myself into this novel just to kick your @ss if you didn't get your shiz together. Thank God you finally did!

So I've been wanting to read this series for awhile now, but once I snagged an ARC of Dark Frost, I jumped on the express train - and I'm so glad I did! It reminds me a lot of Hex Hall (which I loved) but more mature, yet still within the YA range.

To summarize the series, Gwen Frost got thrown into Mythos Academy after her mom died. The women in her family are pretty powerful Gypsies...Gwen just didn't know the half of it. She got thrown into the mix of Valkyries, Spartans, and other warrior-like kids that grew up training, expecting the followers of an imprisoned Loki to murder them where they stand, so she's way out of her league when it comes to defending herself. It makes her an easy target, and since she's high on the kill list, she's got a lot to learn and little time to learn it. Enter Logan. Yummy, yummy Spartan Logan who's been told to give her a little one-on-one training time. Bleh heh heh. Oh, the yummy drama.
 
In Dark Frost, Gwen witnesses the murder of several unarmed classmates and comes face to face (well, face to mask) with Loki's champion. She learns they're close to honing in on the artifact that Gwen's mom had hidden for twenty-so years, and it's all that stands in the way of Loki's followers breaking the ties that bind him. So Gwen is determined to figure out where her mother hid the knife and find a new secret home before all hell breaks loose - literally. Too bad her Gypsy abilities can't help her see what's really coming...

I love everything about the Mythos Academy series thus far - the characters, the teenage angst, the frenemies, the danger, and the romance (finally!). Four dreamcatchers and sweet, sweet dreams. If you haven't started this series yet, check it out all ready.

 
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley for honest review.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: