.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Interview with Rebecca A. Rogers


This week on the Writer's Block we have the sassy Rebecca A. Rogers. One of my partners in crime, total coffee-aholic, and writing whiz. Seriously...the books are just flying off the laptop.

 
Website
GoodReads
Twitter
Facebook

What was your favorite book as a kid? I was really obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie series. I read a few Anne of Avonlea and Chronicles of Narnia books, and then, of course, the Harry Potter series, but I don’t recall having a favorite. I guess I just loved them all! :)

If you were stranded on a desert island what is the one book you couldn't be stranded without? The Lord of the Rings (in complete trilogy form, which is one book). :D

What is your favorite genre to read and what makes it so awesome? It’s going to be Fantasy for me. I just love hanging out with elves or dwarves, or other creatures that don’t exist. It’s amazing how, if one believes hard enough, they can transport themselves to these other worlds.

If you could meet any dead person, who would you choose? Any particular reason why? J.R.R. Tolkien. Who wouldn’t want to tap into that man’s imagination?

If the Earth suddenly became uninhabitable, would you rather live under the sea or in space? In space, most definitely. If the air/land on Earth is too toxic, why would I want to live under the sea?

If you could live in any time period other than the present, which would you choose and why? I normally respond to this with “Medieval Times,” but I think I’d actually like to live in the Renaissance time period. Everything was a bit brighter and less depressing.

Take us through a typical writing day for you. Do you have anything quirky - like you have to have a certain pen to write with, or the desk laid out in a particular manner, does it need to be raining, do you require a certain food/drink/candy to work by? I absolutely have to have coffee; it’s like putting gas in a car for me. If my tank is empty, you can bet my engine will start, sputter, and go dead. :) Other than coffee, nothing has to be in a particular order on my desk, but I do prefer lighting candles to keep the atmosphere calm.

What do you do when you experience that lovely problem called writer's block? Move past it. If I know what happens ahead of where I’m at, then I’ll just write those scenes and come back to where I stopped. Usually, it works out.

When you were little, what did you think you'd be when you grew up? A princess who lived in a castle. (I still want to buy a castle! lol)

What is the craziest dream you've ever had? I still remember this dream I had as a kid, where I was in the ocean and being chased by sharks. They continually circled around me, and, finally, one bit my leg. Well, in real life, I bit the inside of my cheek (and didn’t know it). So, in the dream, I could taste blood from where the shark “bit” me, and when I woke up, I could definitely taste it, too. Ewww!

If you could live anywhere in the world you'd like, where would that be and why? Scotland or England. My ancestors originated in Scotland, and I’ve always thought both Scotland and England are beautiful countries. But I swear I’m going to own a castle in one of them someday! lol

What food/drink would absolutely devastate you if they stopped production on? Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Do you like to listen to music when you read or write? Tell us a few of your favorites. Sometimes, but the majority of the time, no. Favorites? Safetysuit and Tokyo Hotel. Their lyrics are poetic, in my opinion.

Which is your favorite fairytale? Beauty and the Beast. As a child, Belle reminded me of myself.

Which book are you most looking forward to reading this year? I have so many ARCs to finish reading this year. I’m backed up so much, it’s not even funny. I’m sure the publishers are like, “Gahhh. What’s wrong with this girl?” But next year, I’m skipping ARCs and focusing on the 650+ books I own. :)

Which do you prefer: ebook, hardback or paperback? I like all three, actually. I guess, for convenience, e-books are the way to go. You can continually add to your e-shelves and never have to worry about running out of room. At least, for a while.

This or That
Underworld or Twilight
Original or Remake
Sweet or Salty
Drama or Comedy
Fantasy or Romance
Spring or Autumn
Movie Theatre or Loveseat
Tea or Coffee
Rain or Sunshine

Choose a challenge...if you dare!
Write a sentence using all these words: joker, fireball, backpack, sticker, hula hoop: The last time I pressed a sticker on my backpack, the joker hurled a fireball through my hula hoop.

(Oh, my God. What am I doing?)

Write a sentence using all these words: wolf pack, mirror, pop rocks, cuckoo clock, Edward Cullen, hairspray: Edward Cullen looks at himself in the mirror and uses a cuckoo clock to spritz his hair with hairspray every time the wolf pack eats pop rocks.

(Wow, I need to stop.)

Write a sentence using all these words: lovebirds, Twizzlers, fireworks, Ferris wheel, turtle: Two lovebirds take their pet turtle on a Ferris wheel, while eating Twizzlers and watching fireworks color the blackened sky.

(Okay, this was better. lol)

Go to http://madglibs.com and fill in a mad lib using people, places, etc from one of your books. Copy and paste here to share with us. Don't forget to tell us which book you used!

Okay, I’ll go ahead and use Silver Moon. In keeping with the “Romeo and Juliet” theme, I’ll do the R&J Prologue Mad Lib, using these words: werewolves, Hartford, werewolf, lovers, magic, magical, transform, 6, golden, eyes, linger

Here it is:

Two werewolves, both alike in dignity,
In fair Hartford, where we lay our scene,
From ancient werewolf break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross’d lovers take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their magic bury their parents’ strife.
The fearful passage of their magical love,
And the continuance of their parents’ rage,
Which, but their children’s end, nought could transform,
Is now the 6 hours’ traffic of our stage;
The which if you with golden eyes attend,
What here shall linger, our toil shall strive to mend.

Well, that worked out quite well after all. lol


Rebecca has a ton of books, so check out the full list at her website or GoodReads.

No comments: