.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Choose Your Own Adventure

For some reason, there are nights when my mind decides it's not worth the effort to tell me a new bedtime story. Instead, it puts an old dream in the slot and hits play. I've had many repetitive dreams over the years, but one in particular stands out because it's developed into something like those old choose your own adventure books.

As a child, it completely freaked me out because when I entered this dream world, I remembered what was lurking around the next scene. It always began with me standing on the stairs, knowing full well what was waiting for me several floors down. A nasty, ugly witch with warts and bright burnt orange hair, cackling and stirring her cauldron (yes, I know it's stereotypical of me). One night, I just couldn't bare to slink past her anymore and said, "Nuh-uh. Not this time." I found myself doing something I had never been able to do before. I chose to deviate and take a new route, choosing to make a new adventure.

I should have stuck with the witch! There were far worse things waiting for me in this world. Every horror movie I had ever seen was in there somewhere. Freddy Krueger, Jason, Michael Myers, even the Blob had a nice cozy spot next to the docks. Every new horror would wake me up in a panic and every time my mind replayed that dream, I remembered which routes led to which horrors. So I was left trying to decide. Do I go down to the basement and deal with Freddy Krueger or do I go up to the attic and deal with the freak wearing the William Shatner mask? Which would you take? Me? Sorry, I chose hidden option number 3 (this is choose your own adventure guys!) and opted to fling myself out the window to the roof.

Unfortunately, this world holds more horrors I have yet to experience. The only thing I wish I could remember and realize while traveling this dream, is that it would be far safer to travel the routes and horrors I'm already aware of. Cause like I said, there are far worse things out there. What scared me as a child doesn't scare me as an adult and vice versa. Next time, the horror around the corner could be a bill collector. Or worse, Rosie O'Donnell.

***imported from previous blog

No comments: