.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Unspoken by Jen Frederick (ARC)

Unspoken (Woodlands #2)
Jen Frederick
Pub.: September 13, 2013

Unspoken (Woodlands, #2)Whore. Slut. Typhoid Mary.

I've been called all these at Central College. One drunken night, one act of irresponsible behavior, and my reputation was ruined. Guys labeled me as easy and girls shied away. To cope, I stayed away from Central social life and away from Central men, so why is it that my new biology lab partner is so irresistible to me?

He's everything I shouldn't want. A former Marine involved in illegal fighting with a quick trigger temper and an easy smile for all the women. His fists aren't the danger to me, though, it's his charm. He's sliding his way into my heart and I'm afraid that he's going to be the one to break me.

Impulsive. Unthinking. Hot tempered.

I allow instinct to rule my behavior. If it feels good, do it, has been my motto because if I spend too much time thinking, I'll begin to remember exactly where I came from. At Central College, I've got fighting and I've got women and I thought I was satisfied until I met her.

She's everything I didn't realize I wanted and the more time I spend with her, the more I want her. But she's been hurt too much in the past and I don't want to be the one to break her. I know I should walk away, but I just can't.
 

AnnMarie just wants to finish her last few years at college in stealth mode, slipping through her classmates with her head down and camping out in the back of every class. False rumors have been cruel, and with schools as small as this one, everybody seems to know her business - or at least a story of what didn't happen. But gossipers love a good scandal, so she knows there's no point in trying to fight it because it'll only fan the fire. Her first day back for the year has her running late to class and unfortunately, earned her a spot in the front row, right next to a beef cake who seems interested from the start. So not interested in dating anyone from Central ever again, she brushes him off. But Bo isn't a guy to be ignored. Saying no only piques his interest and lands him as her permanent lab partner. At first, Bo was just looking for another quick pickup, but as AnnMarie began to she her many complicated layers to him, he found himself wanting more and more - which was just something he'd never wanted before, nor knew how to handle.
 
I really liked Unspoken. It was a questionable friendship from the start and finally turned into a messy relationship. Which was real to me. They had actual issues to overcome before they found their groove, and together they made each other evolve and deal with the sins of the past. If you haven't read the first Woodlands novel, it doesn't matter. I hadn't. I now know it was about two characters who are in the background of this novel, but you need not know their story to enjoy this one. Pick it up - this is more realistic than most new adult novels out there these days. And thank God! The author didn't feel the need to put in a pregnancy, an engagement or a marriage. Thank you, thank you, thank you! So few novels just end it letting us know these two will get there one day without shoving it down our throats by the last page. I'll read this version any day!

ARC provided by Pear Tree for honest review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: