.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Misfit by Jon Skovron (ARC)

Misfit by Jon Skovron
Expected Publication: August 1, 2011

Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.

When I read the synopsis for Misfit, I was under the impression that I was going to get to witness an awesome tale about a girl coming into demonic powers. In a way I did, but I had higher hopes.

The first half of this book felt like a long, drawn out religious lesson to me. I'll give the author props here, cause I certainly felt like I was stuck in class with Jael listening to the priests lecture on and on and on... I was a little disappointed that such a huge chunk of this novel was devoted to  the backstory of her parents and uncle. I felt a little cheated; because what little I got from Jael at that point, I had really enjoyed. After a while, I found myself scanning the other chapters because they just couldn't keep my attention.

The last half of this novel is why I'm glad I kept reading. Though I wish she hadn't picked up all these 'difficult demon traits' within one or two attempts,  her demonic side merging with her mortal side was interesting and believable. If Misfit gets a follow-up, I hope it'll be more devoted to Jael, because I came to adore her a little bit more as the story progressed.


Novel provided by Amulet via NetGalley

No comments: